Paniolo Cornbread (Hawaii)
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together melted butter, coconut milk, and eggs.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures.
- Stir in pineapple.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9" cake pan.
- Bake until firm and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cornbread from pan.
- Place serving plate on top of pan, and invert cornbread onto plate.
Join The Conversation
This is a great recipe, I wasn't quite sure what to expect since it's a pretty unusual combination. It is "cakey", but more like a coffee cake or banana bread than the sort you would ice. I was able to make it gluten free and vegan with a few subs (oil instead of butter, Ener-g egg replacer and Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour blend with some guar gum). I also made it in a bundt pan and it looks great! Made during ZWT7.
Great recipe Chocolatl. I really enjoyed this sweet moist cornbread. Made exactly as written. It was a quick and easy to make recipe. I loved the subtle flavors of the cornmeal, coconut and pineapple in this treat. Perfect served warm,with honey and butter as recommended. Thanks for sharing a recipe that I will enjoy often. Made for Zwt7 for Witchin Kitchen.