photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 cup water (divided)
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, halved and split making 4 pieces
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 ounces marzipan
- 1 tablespoon butter, well chilled
- Soak raisins in rum and 2 tablespoons hot water till plump.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, yeast, zest and vanilla bean in mixer on low speed until combined.
- Whisk the eggs, remaining water and honey together.
- With mixer at low speed pour in egg mixer into the flour mixture. Increase speed to medium-low to combine.
- Add 12 tablespoons butter one tablespoon at a time, mixing till all is incorporated increasing speed to med-high. Mix for 8-10 minutes till dough is smooth and elastic.
- Meanwhile drain raisins and combine with melted butter.
- Crumble marzipan.
- Stir in the raisins and marzipan.
- Place dough including vanilla bean in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let rise till triple in volume about 12-15 hours in a draft free place. Oven is perfect for this. Overnight is ideal.
- Punch down and remove bean be sure to remove any of the seeds and mix into the dough, discarding the pods.
- On a work surface or sil pad dusted with flour place the dough. Dust the dough. Fold the edges into the center placing seam side down into a panettone mold, clean and dried generously buttered coffee can or a generously buttered bundt pan. Cover with a damp linen towel. NO terry towels! Let rise in a warm draft free spot for 5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack lower 3rd of oven.
- Place mold on a cookie sheet pan. Using a sharp knife mark the raised dough with an X one inch deep and place the chilled butter into it.
- Bake till toothpick comes out slightly moist NOT wet. About 1 hour at this point it should be very dark.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!