Pan Fried Trout
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- Rinse the trout under cold running water (or in the beautiful mountain lake/stream you caught them in).
- Pat dry.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper (I take a zip lock baggie in my pack with salt/pepper/garlic powder mixed together).
- Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet on medium-high heat.
- Coat the trout in corn meal and shake off the excess.
- When the butter is melted, place the coated trout, flesh side down, in the skillet.
- Fry 4-5 minutes, then turn and fry 4-5 minutes or until the flesh is golden brown and flaky. (Trout may be seasoned with garlic or onion powder before frying if desired, I also take a lemon with me to squeeze over the top).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a winner, easy and delicious. My partner who usually doesn't like fish thought it was "really good". I didn't have corn meal so I used matzah meal instead and dusted the fish with salt, pepper and some garlic powder. Three table spoons of butter was a bit too much so cut back to two. This will become a stable in our meals.
This was delicious and easy! I seasoned a little heavier because I like a little spice. I also found with the thicker pieces, I had to cover my skillet for a bit to cook the insides a bit more. I think if I do it again, I’ll fry and put in the oven for a bit to prevent the fish from overcooking. My family LOVED it!
Caution: "the beautiful mountain lake/stream you caught them in" may look crystal clear but is often contaminated with a parasite called Giardia from animal droppings. Drinking it can cause a nasty diarrhea. The fish are perfectly safe to eat, but please rinse them in drinkable water. Giardia diarrhea is common, easy to diagnose, and easy to treat and cure. But it requires a lab test of stool and a prescription medicine. And before you ask - Yes, that's a stethoscope in my profile picture.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I have been in manufacuting for over 20 years and love it, I tried to stay away for a while but realised its a daily goal that brings much satisfaction to me and I want to keep improving it every day. I have the most wonderful husband anyone could ask for and a beautiful daughter at home and a son on his on (mostly) and they gave me a beautiful new grandson in June. I live in Moses Lake, WA and enjoy hiking, camping, fishing and four wheeling. I love the zaar and find something new each time I visit. Join me in any thread, my sharp wit is known to all! <br /><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting" /> <br /><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting" /><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/BtoBHosts.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket" /> <br /><img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/herbssticker1.jpg" alt="" /></p>