photo by jennguinn72
- Ready In:
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 diced onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, diced (or crushed)
- 1⁄2 gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat water in pot until boiling.
- Add lentils and boil for one minute.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer lentils until they resemble a thick paste.
- While lentils are simmering, heat oil in frying pan.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until soft. Add curry, chili, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Add fried spice mixture into lentil paste, stir and cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as is or over basmati rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I didn't think I could possibly eat anything with half a gingerroot in it, so I only put in half a teaspoon (grated). This turned out to give it a pleasant mild warmth, and even though I messed up the timing and had to let it sit around too long, D said he wanted to hide the rest in the bedroom to keep it to himself! That's the first time I've made a dhal good enough for a comment like that! This made four very smallish servings.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a hugeeeeeee foodie that will try anything. I'm very eclectic and experimental when it comes to food.