Pain D'epice (French Spice Bread)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 225 ml honey
- 225 g wholemeal rye flour
- 30 g white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 30 g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon ginger peel
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 cloves, ground
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, grated
- milk, and
- sugar, boiled to a syrup for glaze
- Warm and melt the honey by standing the jar in a pan of hot water, measure it into the rye flour in a bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon. Leave, covered for 1 hour for the flour to absorb all the liquid.
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the glaze, and mix with vigour to ensure everything is spread evenly through the dough - this will be very sticky! Knead the dough on a clean work surface for between 5-10 minutes You can dip hands into a bowl of water at intervals to help with the kneading if necessary.
- Press the dough mixture intpo a well greased 2lb loaf tin. Make sure it's pushed right into the corners.
- Bake the loaf on the middle shelf for about 35 mins until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. When you have removed it from the oven, brush with glaze and return to oven for a couple of minutes to set the glaze.
- Let the bread stand in the tin for a few minutes, then invert onto a wire rack. This keeps very well and because it's made using rye it can be better for being left a couple of days before eating. (We never let it wait long though !).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!