MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces shucked oysters, with their juices
- 2 slices bacon, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- oyster crackers
- Drain the oysters in a colander set over a bowl. Reserve the juices.
- Saute the bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp and the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Saute the onions in the bacon fat until tender and translucent, but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, and cook over low heat for 2 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Add the milk and the reserved oyster juice gradually, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Add the bay leaf, and simmer for 20 minutes, skimming as necessary.
- Add the oysters and simmer about 5 minutes, or until oysters are barely cooked. Take care not to overcook the oysters.
- Add the warm cream and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into heated bowls and garnish with the reserved bacon and oyster crackers.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation