- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 teaspoons corn oil margarine
- 1 cup sliced white mushroom
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 16 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1⁄2 lb lean bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 2 anaheim chilies, seeds removed and diced
- 1⁄2 lb reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, crushed
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring, until just slightly tender, 2 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non stick vegetable spray.
- Place 8 of the bread slices in the prepared dish.
- Layer half of the mushrooms and the onions, bacon, celery, and chilies on top of the bread and finish with half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, and dill.
- Repeat the bread layer and the remaining half of the ingredients as above but add the tomato slices before the cheese.
- Thoroughly mix the egg substitute, eggs, milk and mustard and pour into the dish.
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, allow the strata to stand at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the strata, uncovered, until bubbly and lightly browned, 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband and I moved to Las Vegas after retirement in 2000. We lived in South Bend, IN for about 26 years. We both like to travel and we have taken up RV camping and enjoy it a lot. Most of our camping is done in Nevada Utah Arizona and So. California. During the summers our (almost) 9 year old Granddaughter will go with us sometimes. Our Daughter, Son-in-law, and Granddaughter have lived in Las Vegas since January 2001.