Overnight Mushroom Souffle
A friend got this recipe from a kosher cookbook and I then tried to cut the tons of fat a little. I made the souffle for a brunch today and it was a hit.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 7 -9 tablespoons light butter or 7 -9 tablespoons butter
- 14 slices challah (egg bread)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Saute mushrooms slightly in 1-2 tablespoons butter.
- Set aside.
- Saute celery, onion, and green pepper lightly in 1-2 tablespoons butter.
- While cooking vegetables, butter 6 slices of bread (about 1/2 tablespoon butter per slice) and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Spread bread in 9 x 13 pan.
- Combine sauteed vegetables with mushrooms, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture over bread.
- Cube 4 unbuttered bread slices and sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- Beat eggs and milk together and pour over second layer of bread.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- The next day spread soup over chilled mixture.
- Butter last 4 slices of bread, cube, and sprinkle over soup.
- Sprinkle cheese over last layer of bread.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- You may want to cover for part of baking time depending on how brown you like your cheese- I covered the dish at about the halfway point.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION