Oven-style Pizza Fries
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat lightly with oil.
- Grind fennel seed, oregano and basil into a powder using a spice mill or mortar and pestle.
- Wash, peel and slice potatoes into thin french fry shapes.
- Combine ground spices, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, sugar and oil in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place potatoes and seasoning paste in a large ziplock or plastic bag.
- Using your hands, move the potatoes around in the bag until they are evenly coated with the seasoning paste.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400°F.
- Using a spatula, turn potatoes over and sprinkle with parmesan cheese (if using).
- Bake for 10-20 minutes more or until fries become golden and start to crisp (time may vary with size of fries).
- Serve with marinara sauce or ketchup, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a great oven fry recipe. I probably had more potatoes for the spices, but they were still flavorful and tasty. I also decreased the oil a bit. I was leary adding soo much spice to these but in the end it turned out to be the right amount. I am not sure if these taste exactly like pizza but they are darn good anyway!!! Thanks!
So so. I think the tomato paste has enough natural sugar that the additional sugar was not extra. I oiled the foil well but the fries still stuck. When I flipped them, they only needed a few more minutes. Maybe my idea of a hand cut fry size and yours is different. Served them with Italian beef sandwiches and people ate them, but they weren't any big deal. Probably won't make them again
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at email@example.com