Oven Fried Fish from Cooks Illustrated
- Ready In:
- 4 -6 slices white bread, slightly stale is best
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 2⁄3 cup approximately all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄4 lbs white fish, at least 1 in. thick cut into 4 pieces (Cod or haddock is recommended)
- heat oven to 350 degrees.
- pulse bread, butter, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- remove and cool crumbs, toss with parsley and shallots, place in a pie plate.
- increase oven temp to 450 degrees.
- blend eggs, Mayo., paprika, Cayenne, 1/4 tsp pepper and 5 tbsp of flour in a second pie plate.
- put remaining flour in a third pie plate.
- spray wire rack with cooking spray and place in a rimmed baking sheet.
- dry fish well and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- dredge first in flour, then egg mixture, then crumbs pressing into crumbs so that a nice thick layer sticks to the fish.
- place on wire rack and repeat with remaining fish.
- bake 18 - 20 minutes,or until internal temperature is 140 degrees.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!