Oven-Fried Chicken (Paula Deen)
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 35mins
- 2 whole chickens (3 pounds each cut into 8 pieces)
- 6 cups buttermilk (can use a little less)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (use only kosher salt NOT table salt!)
- 3 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying) or vegetable shortening (for frying)
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl; pour the buttermilk over and toss with hands to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl combine the flour with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Remove the chicken out of the buttermilk and coat each piece thoroughly with the flour mixture.
- Place the coated chicken on a large platter (make certain to have all of your chicken coated before frying).
- Pour the oil into a large heavy-bottomed stockpot to a depth of 1-inch and heat to 360 degrees F.
- Working in batches carefully place several pieces of chicken into the oil and fry about 3 minutes on each side until the coating is a light golden brown (it will continue to brown in the oven) do not crowd the pieces while frying.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place each piece on a metal baking rack on a sheet pan.
- Allow the oil to return to 360 degrees F before frying the next batch.
- When all the chicken is fried bake at 350 degrees F (set oven rack to lowest position) for about 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!