Oven Baked Spanish Tortilla
In this recipe the potatoes are cooked on the stove top and then added to the egg mixture which is then baked until set. It should rest 15 minutes after baking before serving. For planning purposes, the recipe should be started about 1 hour and 20 or 30 minutes before serving.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, halved and sliced into thin slices (Yukon Gold is best, they are the least starchy and best suited for this)
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced really thin
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- sea salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 4 green onions, both green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Line a 9-inch cake pan with aluminum foil and brush with olive oil on bottom and sides.
- 3. Toss the potatoes, onion, garlic, green onions, bell pepper, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/4 tsp of pepper together with olive oil (just enough to coat them) in a large bowl, until the potatoes are thoroughly coated with oil and the potato slices separate.
- 4. In a large, DEEP, 10-inch skillet, heat about 2 Tbsp of olive oil over high heat until hot.
- 5. Reduce heat to medium and add potato mixture to skillet. Set the bowl aside for the moment, but no need to wash, we’ll use it again.
- 6. Cover potato mixture and cook, stirring every few minutes until potatoes are tender. About 25 minutes.
- 7. While the potatoes are cooking, whisk the eggs and about 1/2 tsp of salt in the reserved bowl.
- 8. Fold the potato mixture into the egg mixture, scraping the skillet.
- 9. Mix grated Parmesan cheese into the potato/egg mixture.
- 10. Pour the potato/egg mixture into the prepared foil-lined pan.
- 11. Cook, uncovered for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- 12. Slide onto a plate and allow to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature, sliced into wedges.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is quite a tasty Tortilla. I loved the combination of vegetables that added lots of flavor to the egg base. I served it with some buttered toast, but it would have been nice if I had some fresh fruit (maybe sliced pears or sliced cantaloupe) It was great though, and we loved it. Thank you for sharing your recipe, PanNan. Made for Susie's World Tour 2019 (Cuba).