Oven-Baked Chicken Pilaf
A really tasty and quick midweek supper solution that is sure to please the busiest of families. All cooked in one pot and on the table in 30 minutes!
- Ready In:
- 3 ounces pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 12 ounces long-grain rice
- 3 ounces sultanas
- 850 ml chicken stock
- handful coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200/180/Gas 6.
- Toast the pine nuts in an ovenproof and flameproof casserole dish, then remove and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the ovenproof casserole dish and soften the onion with the turmeric for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken thighs, then cook for 3-4 minutes until browned all over.
- Tip in the rice, sultanas and 700ml of the stock, then bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, checking halfway and adding more stock if it looks a little dry.
- Cook until the chicken is done and the rice tender. Season to taste, then stir in the toasted pine nuts and serve sprinkled with coriander leaves.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Tastes nice, would probably have put a bit more spice in it just to make it more exciting but it tastes great anyway. Only thing is the rice came out a bit sticky/starchy, I dunno if that was just me not using enough water or not cooking it long enough. Would definitely make it again with some more spice and maybe added vegetables.
Great chicken and rice pilaf recipe!!! I love pine nuts, so when I saw this offered, I knew I wanted to tag it. I had a boneless/skinless chicken thigh in the freezer, but at the last minute, I had to switch to using a boneless/skinless chicken breast as the thigh had gotten freezer burned. I cut this back to serve one (which for me, it would serve me at least twice, so economical too) and omitted the sultans as I am not a fan of sweet fruit with my meats. The other change I made was to coat the chicken pieces in some seasoned flour before browning, hoping to keep it moist during baking, and it was a success. I loved the flavor from the tumeric and red onion and really loved the crunch of the toasted pine nuts. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe Noo!!! Made for PRMR Tag Game.
This is a very delicious chicken and rice dish. I love the flavor and color that the turmeric provides and the use of the red onion. I did use bone-in chicken thighs and I left the skin on during the cooking process to add more flavor. Served this dish with a side salad and it made a perfect meal for tonight. Made for PRMR, September, 2013.