Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon caramel coloring
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal, for dusting
- Place all of the ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed, and process on dough setting. The dough will be a little on the wet side and sticky but if it seems too wet, add more flour. When dough is done, let it rise for 1 hour.
- Remove from pan, punch down, and divide into 8 portions. Form portions into tubular shaped loaves about 6-8 inches long, and 2 inches wide.
- Sprinkle the entire surface of the loaves with cornmeal, and place them on 2 cookie sheets. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degreees for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped butter.
- Note: This recipe is best when prepared by these instructions.
- Deviate at your own risk.
My husband requested I make this again and I realized I had not reviewed the recipe yet! I did cut the coffee to 1 1/2 tsp as per another reviewer. I had no caramel coloring but the color was beautiful without. I also let my bread machine do it's thing and the loaf was big! Today I'll split into two loaves so it'll fit in the toaster. We loved the color, taste and especially the texture of this bread. It's the first wheat bread recipe that we really enjoy. Thanks for a great recipe.
I have made this bread before, from a different recipe site, but neither of the instructions say to let the bread finish in the bread machine. How would a rectangular bread machine loaf turn out the same as individually formed loaves? I give it 5 stars because it is the same recipe that I have used for years--and everyone expects it at Thanksgiving--and if followed accordingly, it turns out perfectly! What could be better than everyone having their own loaf of delicious Bushman bread? Thank you for posting!
see 7 more reviews