Outback Steak House Walkabout Soup
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- Heat the water to boiling in a large pot. Add the bouillon cubes and dissolve.
- Cut the onion into thin slices, then quarter the slices and add to the broth.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour while stirring.
- Sift the flour into the soup and continue to stir until smooth. Be careful when you stir so you do not tear the onions. As the soup continues to cook, any lumps should dissolve after 30 minutes of additional simmering.
- Add the cream and 1 cup of cheddar cheese; continue to simmer the soup for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup hot after sprinkling a tablespoon of each of the cheeses on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I followed the recipe exactly, and this soup turned out to be a disaster! I'm not a good cook to begin with, so I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 to be extra fair. The onions disolved completely. The soup turned out so salty that I have endured jokes about it all night. My husband put on a brave face and tried to choke it down, but I took one taste and gave everybody permission not to eat it. It was suggested that (due to the saltiness) I should dump it on the driveway to melt the ice. ;) There is another recipe on here that contains chicken broth, and having tried both, I'd say THAT one is the way to go.
This recipe has way too much flour in it. Whoever says you can dissolve 3/4c of flour in 1c of water is crazy. That makes dough. It is impossible to get the flour dissolved and when you do, you can't taste the soup over the flour. Gross. Maybe it would work better with a few Tbsp of cornstarch instead. I will have to experiment.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have 6 children 4 boys and 2 girl,ilove to cook and try lots of different foods,my real name is Britt and i live in louisiana i like to collect recipes,cookbooks,dolls,and angels,i just started having a intrest in teacups and teapots,i also like amish rag dolls.