Osso Buco Tender Tex Mex
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 lbs veal shanks, 4 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced divided in 1/2
- 1 roasted poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped divided in 1/2 or
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped divided in 1/2
- 1 lime, zested & divided in 1/2
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano.
- Dust all sides of veal shanks.
- Whisk one cup water to remaing seasoned flour, set aside.
- In a hot large oven proof pan (A good choice Le Creuset) heat oil, just enough to cover bottom of pan.
- Brown shank for 4-5 minutes each side over medium high heat.
- Remove and set aside.
- In same pan add oil if needed and saute bell pepper, onions for 4 minutes add poblano, chipotles, and garlic cook for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chipotle sauce.
- Stir in the water with the seasoned flour.
- Add 1/4 cup parsley.
- Place shanks in pan top each with a wedge of lime and some sauce to coat. Saving half the lime for the Gremolata.
- Liquid should come up to the edge of the shanks. If not add addition water, wine or broth.
- Cover and place in oven cooking for 2 hours.
- Mix lime zest, remaining lime juice, garlic, and 1/4 cup parsley/cilantro.
- Plate over polenta, or recipe #218587 to soak up juices and to help calm the yummy heat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!