Oriental Skillet Supper
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, cut in strips
- 1⁄3 cup celery, sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb minute steaks, cut in 1/4 inch strips or 1 lb hamburger
- 2⁄3 cup cold water (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled and wedged
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- Cook rice with two cups of water and 1/4 tsp ginger.
- In heavy skillet, cook peppers and celery in oil until crisp and tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add meat. Brown quickly.
- Combine water, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Add to skillet and cook until thickened.
- Stir in reserved peppers and celery along with tomato wedges. Heat through.
- Serve over ginger rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
If you're not looking to cook authentic Chinese cuisine this is a tasty Americanized dish. It was in "Cooking For Two" by Betty Crocker, a gift from my Mother when I was married @ 19 in 1969. Over the learned to add garlic & onions which pleased my children & husband. Even now I enjoy having this dish occasionally, I'm back to cooking for two, it's so easy & quick & clean up is a breeze