Oriental Noodle Salad With Peanuts, Spinach & Cabbage
Texture and taste means so much to the visually impaired and visual appeal to the sighted. I have tried to accomplish all with this recipe. No almonds, onions or bok choy or napa cabbage--just green cabbage. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 2 (3 ounce) packages oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted Spanish peanuts, whole, with skins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 cups green cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 3 cups fresh spinach, stemmed, chopped
- 5 -6 red radishes, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced, save leaves for garnish
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 teaspoons kikomen soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kraft creamy horseradish sauce (optional)
- In large frying pan melt margarine. Coarsely crush the ramen noodles in the package before opening. (Save the flavor packets).
- Add the crushed noodles to the melted butter. Add the peanuts and sprinkle the salt and stir until lightly to dark brown.
- Do not burn. Set aside.
- Throw the shredded cabbage and spinach in large serving plates or bowl. Add radishes and celery. Lightly toss.
- In blender add milk, vinegar, oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, seasoning packets and horseradish sauce if desired. Pulse a few times.
- Spoon the peanut and noodles on the spinach/cabbage mixture and mix or leave on the top.
- Drizzle or spoon the dressing on top.
- Note: I wash all my fresh veges with ice cold water and a dab of bleach. Let them set for a few minutes. Drain the water, rinse the veges and put loose ones in a salad spinner. I have done this since 1963 when we were in another country and I have never stopped. It is safe.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION