Oriental Bulgur Rice Salad
This tasty salad makes a nice side dish or a good main dish by adding cooked chicken or seafood. The recipe comes from Taste of Homes Light & Tasty magazine.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup corasely grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 cups torn mixed salsg greens (Baby greens are nice)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place bulgur in a bowl.
- Stir in boiling water.
- Cover and let stand 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Drain and squeeze dry.
- In a bowl combine the rice, celery, carrot, green pepper, cranberries, and bulgur.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the parsley, vinegar, olive oil, onion, water, sesame oil, honey, garlic and seasonings; SHAKE WELL.
- Pour over rice mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Arrange greens on salad plates.
- Top with rice mixture; sprinkle with almonds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very light and refreshing summer salad. I served it on home grown baby greens. I did add grated fresh ginger to the dressing which I put all the ingredients in my vita mix and blended them smooth. Sorry I wish the picture would give this salad a clearer view. I`m still learning how to use the camera.It really dosen`t do it justice.Reply