- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
1 1/2 litres
- Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with cold water and allowed them to soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain and discard this water, then crush the almonds using a rolling pin, or you could use a food processor to chop them to a fine grind.
- If you need to, you can add some of the water to the food processor.
- Transfer the crushed almonds to a large bowl and mix them with the water, let stand for one to two hours.
- Place a damp cloth or cheese cloth in a mesh filter, over another bowl, and strain the almond and water mixture – squeeze the cloth to extract all the liquid.
- Put the chopped almonds back into the almond water, let it stand for another hour and then strain again.
- Repeat a third time if you wish.
- This is will get all the oils out of the almonds.
- Note: To speed up the process you can gently heat the almond water to 50°C (125°F). If you do this, you can cut the soak times to about 15 minutes.
- Pour the strained liquid into a pan, discard the almond pulp, add the sugar and cook over gentle heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat when the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then add the brandy or vodka and the orange flower water.
- Store the orgeat in a clean glass bottle.
- Once the orgeat has cooled down it is ready to use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!