Orange, Walnut and Goat Cheese Salad
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 medium oranges
- 8 ounces spring greens
- 2 medium shallots, cut into thin rings (about 1/3 cup)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (crumbled)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spread the walnuts on a small baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly colored -- 5 to 6 minutes.
- Set aside until cooled slightly.
- Cut away the peels from the oranges, leaving no white pith.
- Hold the oranges over a small bowl and segment them, catching any juices.
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, orange segments and shallot rings.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and 2 Tablespoons of the reserved orange juice. Whisk to combine.
- Taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat it evenly.
- Add the goat cheese and chopped walnuts, and toss gently to combine.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!