Orange, Spinach & Farro Salad
photo by sklovell77
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup semi-pearled cracked farro
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 navel orange
- 4 ounces spinach, roughly chopped (3-4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot of salted water on high to boiling. Once boiling, add the farro and cook 16 to 18 minutes, or until tender. Turn off the heat. Thoroughly drain the cooked farro and return to the pot.
- While the farro cooks, use a peeler to remove the rind of the orange, avoiding the white pith. Mince the rind to get 2 teaspoons of zest (or use a zester). Cut off and discard the remaining peel and pith. Dice the orange, removing any seeds.
- In a medium non-stick pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat until hot. Add the shallot; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Add the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the liquid is slightly reduced in volume. Transfer the shallot and liquid to the pot of cooked farro.
- Add the orange, orange zest and spinach to the pot of cooked farro and pickled shallot. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to thoroughly combine; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!