Orange Shortbread Squares
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Will need one 10x15x1 inch pan, buttered and lined with buttered parchment or foil.
- Position oven rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 325°.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar, extract, zest, and salt; beat on medium speed until very light colored and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the flour and mix in on lowest speed.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a large rubber spatula to finish mixing the dough.
- Scrape the dough into the prepared pan and with lightly floured palm of your hands, press into all corners.
- Use the back of a spoon to smooth the top of the dough evenly, if necessary.
- With the tines of a fork, pierce the dough all over at ½ inch intervals.
- Bake the shortbread for about 25-30 minutes, until it is slightly puffed and firm.
- Remove the pan to a rack to cool until the shortbread is lukewarm—not completely cooled.
- Invert the shortbread from the pan onto a cutting board, and remove the paper.
- Using a ruler to mark, then cut the shortbread into 2-inch squares.
- Store between sheets of parchment or wax paper in a tin or plastic container with tight-fitting lid; may freeze for longer storage.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note