Orange-Sauced Chicken Breasts
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put breasts in baking dish & LIGHTLY sprinkle with red pepper. Cover & bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove peel from the orange & slice half of the peel into julienne strips, setting them aside & discarding the rest of the peel.
- Put julienne strips of peel in a saucepan with enough water to cover, & bring to boil. Simmer 15 minutes, then drain well & set aside.
- Section the orange & set them aside for garnish.
- Cook rice according to package, but omit any required salt.
- Add parsley & basil, mixing well.
- For the sauce, stir together the flour & sugar in a saucepan, then stir in the juice, cooking & stirring until thickened & bubbly. Remove from heat & add reserved orange peel, bitters & curacao.
- Slicing across the grain at a 45 degree angle, cut the breasts into slices 2" wide. Reassemble each breast & return to baking dish.
- Spoon sauce over the breasts & return to oven, & bake, uncovered, 10 minutes until heated through.
- Arrange breasts on the hot cooked rice & spoon the sauce over them. Garnish with reserved orange sections & several sprigs of parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was delicious and the chicken was so moist. I did have to cook the chicken an additional 10-15 minutes, but my chicken breasts were quite large. I used Triple Sec for the Curacao, and loved the orange flavor of the sauce. This was the first time that I have cooked with the aromatic bitters and it gave the sauce a nice flavor that's really hard to put into words. Thanks Sydney Mike for a posting another winner.