Orange-Honey Glazed Chicken Breasts
photo by DarksLight
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice, plus an additional 2 tablespoons
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- table salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves (about 12 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk 1 1/2 cups orange juice, corn syrup, honey, mustard, vinegar, pepper flakes, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper together in medium bowl. Place flour in pie plate, then season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Working with one chicken breast at a time, coat chicken with flour, patting off excess.
- Heat oil in ovenproof 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add chicken breasts skin-side down; cook until well browned and most of fat has rendered from skin, 8 to 14 minutes. (If after 3 minutes you don't hear definite sizzling, increase heat to medium-high. If after 6 minutes chicken is darker than lightly browned, reduce heat slightly.) Turn chicken and lightly brown other side, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to plate.
- Pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat from pan. Add shallot and cook until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase heat to high and add orange juice mixture. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup (heatproof spatula should leave slight trail when dragged through glaze), 6 to 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and tilt to one side so glaze pools in corner of pan. Using tongs, roll each chicken breast in pooled glaze to coat evenly and place skin-side down in skillet.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake chicken until thickest part of breasts registers 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 25 to 30 minutes, turning chicken skin-side up halfway through cooking. Transfer chicken to platter and let rest 5 minutes. Return skillet to high heat (be careful-handle will be very hot) and cook glaze, stirring constantly, until thick and syrupy (heatproof spatula should leave wide trail when dragged through glaze), about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice. Spoon 1 teaspoon glaze over each breast and serve, passing remaining glaze at table.
- Variations: Apple-Maple Glazed Chicken Breasts.
- Follow the recipe above, substituting apple cider for the orange juice and 2 tablespoons maple syrup for the honey.
- Pineapple-Brown Sugar Glazed Chicken Breasts.
- Follow the recipe above, substituting pineapple juice for the orange juice and 2 tablespoons brown sugar for the honey.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a graphic artist, living in beautiful Fort Worth, TX. Next to my love of music, cooking and trying new recipes, I am involved in animal rescue. I currently have 2 rescued Brussels Griffons, 2 foster Griffs and 3 funny parrots. I maintain a store on Cafe Press to raise funds to pay for vet bills for our rescued Brussels Griffons. Please visit our store at http://cafepress.com/griffy_rescue or our main rescue site at http://brusselsgriffonrescue.org <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hklogosm.jpg"> ZWT5 was my first, and I loved it. We had a great team. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkban.jpg"> My current ZWT5 team banner for the first leg. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/HKBIKE2.jpg"> We started out nice! A Hell's Kitchen Angel's graphic I made for our second leg. Things started to heat up! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkbanknives.jpg"> By the end, we were HOT! The banner for our last leg with all our team members! What a blast! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/potluckpbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg">