Orange & Chocolate Fantasy Bar
- Ready In:
- 18 1⁄4 ounces boxed chocolate cake mix
- 3 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted, coarsley chopped (may sub with macadamia or almonds)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, eagle brand
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange rind, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Combine cake mix, hot chocolate mix, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Blend on medium speed for 2 - 3 minutes until crumbly.
- Add in the roasted hazelnuts and stir well.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of cake mixture.
- Press the remaining cake mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a small pan, combine the condensed milk, chocolate chips and salt, cooking over medium heat until the chocolate chips melt.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove the pan from heat and add the orange extract and orange rind.
- Stir well and pour over the prepared crust and top with the reserved cake mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool and cut into bars and store at room temperature.
Join The Conversation
Fabulous treats, BK! They reminded me of another bar I used to make all the time that has the same texture with a different flavor profile (and loved, by the way). I was a little unsure about all the nuts in these, but once I tried them, I would definitely recommend not leaving them out. The hazelnuts were perfect with all the chocolate and orange. These were good while still a bit warm, but the chocolate backs off a bit and lets the orange stand out more once the bars are fully cooled or even slightly chilled. Definitely a keeper, and a good choice if you're looking for something a bit more sophisticated but not too fussy to make. Thanks for posting! Made for Sweet December Tag 2014
Baby Kato, I really like the combination of chocolate and orange in this dessert! I used macadamia nuts and bittersweet Belgian chocolate. The orange flavor really comes through. This is a rich bar--and rich is what we like. The bar is very fudgey in the middle, not cakelike, which is another plus. This really hit the spot for our sweet tooth tonight. Thanks so much!