Orange-Cardamom Brown Rice With Peas (Vegan)
Adapted from a recipe I saw in ExtraVeganZa that I made a little richer and using ingredients in my pantry. I think any kind of brown rice will do.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon earth balance vegan margarine (butter or margarine if you're not vegan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange rind (recipe originally called for lemon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- If you're using dried orange or lemon rind like me, place 2 1/4 tsp dried rind and 6 3/4 teaspoons water in a bowl and let stand for 15 minutes to hydrate.
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the salt, rind, Earth Balance, turmeric, and cardamom and mix well before adding the rice.
- Make sure the rice is covered, then lower the heat to a simmer and loosely cover. Cook for 45-50 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the water and steam and is soft and fluffy.
- Mix the peas in with the cooked rice, cover and let sit for 5 minutes so they can absorb the steam.
- Stir and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wish I had read the previous review prior to cooking this recipe. The spices that go into this rice dish are deliciously aromatic. My husband ate the whole dish, my one-year old (who loves rice) did not, and I could only manage a spoon. The problem? The rice was quite crunchy. This recipe doesn't take into account enough water to make it "edible" (from the ethnocentric perspective of a midwestern U.S. family). I think my son and I would've loved it, regardless. My husband decided that it was edible as the rice was comparably "dry" like Iranian dishes we've had in the past. So, if you like crunchy rice, keep the recipe as is. If you don't, cook it longer and with more water before you throw the peas in at the end... we will make this again to suit our tastes.Reply
Mmm - a little extra effort for fabulous rice! Love the hint of cardamom. I think the amount of water might be a typo, i used about 1 3/4 cups, definitely don't think 1 cup would do it. In the end I only had a lemon and no orange, so that's what i used for the rind...I think any citrus rind would be quite fabulous. love the recipes from this book!Reply