Orange Beef & Broccoli
This was our dinner yesterday, even my mother-law liked it...thats a first.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry or 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin, trimmed of all visible fat,cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 bunch scallion, cut into 1/4 inch thick diagonal slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- In a medium bowl, combine the broth, sherry or broth, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, cornstarch, sesame oil and red pepper flakes.
- Add the beef, tossing to coat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp.
- of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the beef to the skillet; reserve the marinade.
- Cook the beef, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add the remainder 1 tsp.
- oil to the skillet.
- Add the broccoli, scallions, and garlic; cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons water.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender-crisp.
- Add the reserved marinade and cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until the mix.
- Boils and thickens slightly.
- Return the beef to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve over the rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I love the ingredients of this recipe! I did add zest of 1 orange (which turned out to be 1 TBSP.) because I like zest and I wanted a little more orange flavor than toasted sesame oil because that type oil is strong to me but good. I liked it a lot. I am gonna try it with just a bunch of broccoli next time because I really liked the broccoli with this sauce.Reply
We really enjoyed this recipe which has delicious flavor and wonderful texture. I did wish the orange flavor had been a little more noticeable. I think when I make it again I will leave out the chicken broth and increase the orange juice by 1/4 cup, as well as add some orange zest. Thank you for sharing this tasty and healthy recipe.1Reply
see 1 more