Orange and Almond Cake with Orange Syrup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A Gluten Free friendly cake. Dark Chocolate melted and drizzled over this cake is just to die for.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 2 large navel oranges
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 300 g ground almonds, strained
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- candied orange or orange rind (to garnish)
- heavy cream, to serve
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sauterne or 1/4 cup sweet white wine
- Grease and lightly flour a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Place the whole oranges in a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil for 2 hours, topping up with more water as it evaporates.
- Remove the oranges.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cut the oranges into quarters and place in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, then cool thoroughly.
- Place the egg yolks, orange liqueur and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth, then stir in the orange puree and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites in a dry bowl until firm peaks form.
- Add the almonds and baking powder to the orange mixture, stir together well, then carefully fold in the eggwhites.
- Gently pour into the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour.
- Cool the cake in the tin, then transfer to a serving plate.
- To make the syrup: place the orange juice, sugar and sauterne in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Skim off any scum that forms on the surface.
- The syrup will thicken as it cools.
- To serve, cut the cake into wedges, top with the candied orange, or rind and drizzle the syrup over.
- Serve with cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION