Oprah's Unfried Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 6 skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 1⁄2 cups ice water
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup dried Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove skin from chicken pieces.
- Place all chicken pieces in a large bowl with the ice water.
- Put yogurt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
- Combine all breading ingredients in a large, tight-sealing bag.
- Shake to mix.
- Remove two pieces of the chicken from the ice water.
- Roll each piece in yogurt.
- Put chicken in plastic bag with the breading mix.
- Seal and shake, coating each piece thoroughly.
- Place on oiled baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Spray chicken lightly with vegetable oil.
- Place baking sheet on bottom of the preheated 400°F oven.
- Bake for 1 hour, turning pieces over every 20 minutes for even browning.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
i've tried this before and it's usually quite good. I had to substitute crushed saltine crackers as all my breadcrumbs were stale and i couldn't be bothered cleaning the blender, but it was still tasty, and the technique is great. I baked it on parchment paper and sprayed the tops but the coating still slipped off a few pieces. Rosie must have a trick she's not sharing?
This was very tasty dish, however, I found that despite the fact that the baking sheet was sprayed gererously with non-cooking spray, the coating on the chicken stuck to the pan.The chicken, instead of the golden brown colour I expected, was quite dark in some spots, almost black which made it less apealing at the dinner table. I agree, the chicken itself and the pan need to be sprayed quite liberaly with the non-cooking spray.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
What can I say about myself that hasn't already been mentioned in the police reports? Just kidding! I'm a single guy who loves to cook! Good thing, or I'd starve or go broke eating out! I love to read, horror and mysteries are my favorite. Love music, (except rap) and I'm a huge Green Bay Packer Fan!