Open-Face Enchiladas (Or Mexican Lasagne)
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 -5 cups mixed cheeses (Cheddar, colby jack)
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Heat oil in a wide deep skillet and saute onions and garlic until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine flour, chili powder, paprika, salt, minced onion, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder and oregano and add to skillet (or use 2 envelopes of taco seasoning). Cook, stirring, until well mixed, about 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef, breaking up with a spoon, and cook until beef is browned. Stir in tomatoes and their juices, corn, and beans and cook until heated through.
- Stack tortillas on a microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high power for 60 seconds to warm and soften tortillas.
- Butter a 10x15x2 casserole and line the bottom with 6 of the tortillas. Cover with 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/2 of the shredded cheeses. Repeat with remaining tortillas, meat and cheese.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes at 350*. Let stand 5 - 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chipotle and adobo with sour cream. For moderate heat, remove seeds and pith of chiles.
- Cut casserole into 6 - 8 servings. Top each serving with shredded lettuce, olives, guacamole, and adobo sour cream. Dig in!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!