Onion Soup With a Crust (Kuoritettu Sipulikeitto)
photo by pammyowl
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, brown the onions in the butter.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into an ovenproof casserole and cover with the bread slices.
- Sprinkle cheese over bread slices.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I've never been able to figure out the purpose of the flour in most onion soup recipes, so I've never used it. It's nice to see I'm not the only one that knows you can have a fantastic soup without it. That being said, who knew a simple little bay leaf could do so much. That is a new addition for me, and one I will do from now on. The added flavour is not to be believed. Thanks mersaydees for opening my eyes. Unfortunately the only parmesan I had was the pre-grated stuff in the shaker can. Affectionately known in our house as 'sneaker cheese'. :) I ended up using sharp white cheddar. Nice, but the fresh parmesan would have been better. I'll get some tomorrow as I still have some soup leftover. Can't wait. Thanks again for a great meal. Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #25.