Onion Rolls, Bread Machine
These are easy with the help of your bread machine and taste way better than the store bought rolls. Directions are given for a 1 1/2 lb. machine. Note: in my photo the rolls are pictured with "Recipe #287863", which is delicious! 6/20/10 note: Many reviewers have noted the dough seems sticky. I always watch my machine as it starts to knead the dough and if it is looking sticky at the time, add more flour then. However, I am changing the recipe from 3 Cups flour to 3 1/4 cups flour today so definitely don't add additional flour unless the dough looks too moist.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup water, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter; add onion. Saute onion about 10 minutes until tender, but not browned. Remove pan from heat and allow onion to cool slightly.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the onion mixture; set aside. Place remaining onion mixture and dough ingredients in bread pan, select the Dough setting, and press start.
- When dough cycle is complete, turn dough onto a floured countertop or cutting board. Gently roll and stretch dough into a 12-inch rope. With a sharp knife, divide dough into 10 pieces.
- Grease a large baking sheet. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and then flatten slightly. Place rolls on prepared sheet. In a small bowl, beat together remaining egg and 1/2 teaspoon salt; brush egg mixture over each roll. Spread approximately 1 teaspoon of reserved onion mixture on each roll. Let rise in warm oven 30 to 45 minutes until doubled. (Hint: To warm oven slightly turn oven on Warm setting for 2 minutes, then turn it off and place covered dough in oven to rise. Remove sheet from oven to preheat.).
- Preheat oven to 375°F Bake rolls 20 minutes until they are golden and onion is brown, but not burnt. Remove from oven and cool on racks.