One-Pot Swiss Steak With Mushrooms
This recipe will need some time to cook and develop the flavors, it's an easy recipe that is done all in one pot and even tastes better the next day! You can use diced tomatoes with juice in place of the stewed tomatoes but I have to say that the stewed tomatoes are better ;-) The water/cornstarch is only optional add in for a thicker sauce.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 lbs sirloin tip steaks (3-4)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional) or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, to taste (optional)
- 3 -4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 small bay leaves (or use 1 large)
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon beef bouillon powder (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup water, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or use beef broth) (optional)
- Heat oil and butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in 2 steaks at a time and brown on each side, remove to a plate.
- Continue with remaining steak/s and remove to a plate.
- Add more oil into the pot if needed,.
- Add in onions, celery, bell pepper, chili flakes (if using) and dried oregano; saute stirring with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes scraping up any browned bits on bottom of the pot.
- Add in garlic and bay leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, stewed tomatoes with juice, Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon powder (if using) bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add the browned steaks back to the pot.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for about 1-1/2 hours.
- If you wish to thicken the juice, remove the beef to a bowl or plate.
- Mix the water or beef broth with cornstarch until smooth and add into the simmering liquid, stir until thickened (about 2 minutes) then add in the steaks back to the pot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very good flavors. Easy to make I made only half of the recipe. I used a whole green pepper and just a pinch of chili flakes, fresh mushrooms. All the ingredients blended very well together. For us this is the perfect comfort food! Served with buttered egg noodles. Thanks Kitten for another wonderful recipe!Reply