One-Pan French Toast
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 3⁄4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, very thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 loaf challah, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices (lightly toasted or a day old)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups mixed berries, such as raspberries, blackberries and strawberries
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, lightly whipped for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 1/2 sticks butter, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking until smooth. Reduce heat to maintain a brisk simmer and continue cooking until thickened and slightly reduced, 3 minutes more. Transfer to an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk to combine eggs, milk, cream, remaining 3 tablespoons maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon salt. Place challah in two layers on top of syrup in baking dish, ripping pieces to fill spaces if necessary. Pour milk mixture over challah. Let sit one hour, flipping the top pieces of challah 2-3 times, to help custard saturate slices.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Distribute remaining 3 tablespoons butter slices on top of bread and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture on top. Place baking dish on a parchment-lined baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until puffed, golden, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- While French toast bakes, combine berries, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl. Toss to combine and set aside to macerate.
- Remove french toast from oven and scoop, serving with pan syrup and macerated berries. If desired, serve with additional syrup and lightly whipped, unsweetened cream.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!