One-Handed Fried Pies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
12 Fried Pies
- 1 1⁄2 1 1/2 cups dried apricots or 1 1/2 cups dried apples
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple cider
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup buttermilk and 1/3 cup whipping cream)
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- sifted powdered sugar
For the Filling:
- In a saucepan, combine dried fruit and the apple cider. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 20 to 25 minutes or until fruit is tender (Cider should be cooked down). Mash slightly. Cool.
For the Pastry:
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt,and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup shortening until pieces are pea-sized.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of the buttermilk or buttermilk mixture over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side. Repeat, using 1 Tbsp of the buttermilk at a time, until all the dough is moistened. If pastry seems dry, add a little water, 1 Tbsp at a time. (Do not overhandle). Form dough into a ball.
- Pat or lightly roll dough into a 15 inch circle. Using a 4 inch round cutter, cut the dough into 12 circles, rerolling dough as needed. Place about 1 Tbsp fruit on half of each circle. Moisten edges of circles with water. Fold over into half-moon shapes. seal edges with tines of a fork.
- In a 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of the shortening over medium low heat. fry half of the pies for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on papaer towels. (Add remaining shortening; fry remaining pies) serve warm.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cool pies completely and wrap securely in foil. Place foil-wrapped pies in a tightly sealed plastic bag. freeze pies for up to 3 weeks. reheat frozen pies, wrapped in foil, in a 350 degree F. oven about 25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
- CHOCOLATE FRIED PIES: Omit fruit filling. Prepare pastry as directed. For chocolate filling, in a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder. Stir in 4 Tbsp melted butter. Spread a scant 2 tsp of mixture onto each pastry circle. Fry pies as directed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Retired world traveler. I have collected recipes from many of the places I have been. Not the recipes from the local 5 star restaraunts but the cuisine that the REAL people eat! Lots of interesting stuff out there people eat! Love to try out those recipes I have collected now that I have the time. Only problem is finding the original ingredients. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">