Olive & Cheese Twisty Bread
photo by LilKiwiChicken
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
1 large loaf
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water in a large measuring cup. Add the yeast & stir until combined. Leave until the yeast is frothy (about 10-15 minutes).
- Grate the cheese & drain the olives - put to one side.
- Put the flour & salt into a large bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture & olive oil. Stir until well combined.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured bench & knead for 5-10 mintues, or until the dough is elastic & smooth.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll the first part out into a long rectangle, approximately 6in by 14in. Thickness of the dough doesn't matter.
- Evenly scatter the grated cheese & half of the crushed garlic over the dough, gently press the cheese down, and fold the short end (at each end) in over the cheese (approx 1 inch).
- Start rolling the long side of the dough over swiss roll style, the aim is to end up with a long sausage with the filling fully contained within it. Gently press the seam to flatten & turn over to rest seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, this time using the olives & half of the crushed garlic.
- Place the two sausages side by side, seam side down, and weave them over each other creating a spiral/braid.
- Place onto a baking paper lined sheet & cover with a clean dry cloth. Leave until doubled in size (about 1 hour or so).
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until golden on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!