Ole! Mexican Beef Pie
photo by The Spice Guru
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup potato, peeled and diced to 1/2-inch
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and cut to 1/2-inch
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, diced to 1/2-inch
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, diced to 1/2-inch
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whole sweet kernel corn
- 1⁄4 cup green onion top, thinly snipped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, minced
- 2 fresh large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- salt & freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 (12 ounce) cans chunk roast beef, drained
- 2⁄3 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄3 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 8 -12 dashes red hot pepper sauce
- sliced black olives (or jalapenos, or snipped green onion tops, or all)
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F; SPRAY a 2 quart deep baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside; CUT potato, onion, bell peppers and garlic to specifications; THAW 1/2 cup frozen corn; KNEAD and juice enough limes to yield a total of 2 tablespoons juice if using fresh (bottled lime juice is okay); SHRED 1 cup Colby-Jack cheese; DRAIN two 12-ounce cans chunk roast beef.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick 2 quart skillet over medium heat; ADD the potatoes and cook, scraping and stirring often, until softened; ADD the yellow onion and bell peppers; COOK until softened; STIR in the black beans, corn, green onion, cilantro and garlic; COOK for 1 minute longer.
- SPRINKLE 3 tablespoons flour over mixture; TOSS mixture well until all flour has absorbed; STIR in 2 cups enchilada sauce, 2 teaspoons lime juice, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- BRING to a gentle boil; REDUCE the heat and simmer until fully thickened, about 5 minutes; SEASON to taste with salt (if needed) and freshly cracked black pepper; REMOVE from heat; FOLD in the drained roast beef and 2/3 cup of the cheese (don't over-stir!).
- POUR meat mixture levelly into prepared baking dish; PLACE baking dish onto a baking sheet.
- INTO a medium bowl, add the cornbread mix, 1 egg, 1/3 cup water, 4 teaspoons lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon table salt; STIR just until blended; SPREAD batter carefully and evenly over the meat mixture; TOP with the remaining cheese.
- BAKE dish on baking sheet for 15 minutes (keep oven ON); REMOVE tray with pie; SPLASH with 8-12 dashes red hot sauce; DECORATE with sliced black olives or snipped green onion tops (or both, or whatever you find festive!).
- BAKE for 10 additional minutes; ALLOW to set and cool 10 minutes before cutting.
- SERVE with desired garnishes and condiments (I like sour cream and salsa).
- SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mathematician... Metaphysician... Magician in a test kitchen