Place steak in shallow enamel or glass dish. Combine salt, pepper, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, sliced onions, sliced carrots, chopped celery, vinegar and water. Pour over meat, cover and refrigerate.
About 3 1/2 hours before serving:.
1. Remove steak from marinade, dry with paper towels, saving marinade.
2. Heat oil and brown meat on both sides.
3. To drippings add flour and sugar, brown lightly, scraping bottom of pan well; stir in marinade, bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Add steak and simmer, covered, for 3 hours or until fork tender.
4. Remove steak to cutting board then carefully remove surface fat from gravy. Stir in crushed gingersnaps to make gravy cook and stir until smooth.
5. Meanwhile cut meat into 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange onto serving dish.