Old World Sauerbraten
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄4 lbs round steaks (2-3 in. thick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- 1 medium carrot (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 cups cold water
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 10 gingersnaps
- 3 to 4 days before serving:.
- Place steak in shallow enamel or glass dish. Combine salt, pepper, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, sliced onions, sliced carrots, chopped celery, vinegar and water. Pour over meat, cover and refrigerate.
- About 3 1/2 hours before serving:.
- 1. Remove steak from marinade, dry with paper towels, saving marinade.
- 2. Heat oil and brown meat on both sides.
- 3. To drippings add flour and sugar, brown lightly, scraping bottom of pan well; stir in marinade, bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Add steak and simmer, covered, for 3 hours or until fork tender.
- 4. Remove steak to cutting board then carefully remove surface fat from gravy. Stir in crushed gingersnaps to make gravy cook and stir until smooth.
- 5. Meanwhile cut meat into 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange onto serving dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Even though I am still young (25) Life experince has aged me alot. I learned to cook at both of my grandmother's knees (One southern American, one southern Irish) when I was about five. By ten I started collecting cookbooks and experinmenting on my own. As a latch key kid I cooked for my four younger brothers and sisters. My mom ran a small deli before she died when I was 17 so alot of my recies debuted there. Now I run my own catering Buisness. I am married to a wnderful man for five years now. I am a six year old daughter, sons who are four and three. We are also raising my 14 year old sister and nine Year old stepsister and have a 16 year old foster daughter, all of which love cooking with me. I am writing a cookbook with the hopes that when I pass I can leave my recipes for them My cookbook collection has now reached over 1200. Thank you for trying and reviewing my recipes.. <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">