Old Fashioned Pound Cake & Raspberry Trifle
photo by Debber
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
1 big bowl
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla (or brandy extract)
- 9 eggs, slightly beaten
Whipped Cream Layer
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Cream Cheese Layer
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or lemon)
- 4 -8 cups fresh raspberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water (optional)
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- fresh berries
- Line bottoms & sides of three 8x4 loaf pans with parchment paper--do NOT grease; preheat oven to 325; place oven rack in lower position.
- In a large bowl, mix pound cake dry ingredients; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy & fluffy, scraping bowl several times; add flavorings, then eggs three at a time--continue beating (a curdled appearance will be "beaten" out with thorough mixing).
- Now begin adding the flour in about half-cup portions, mixing well after each.
- Turn batter into prepped pans, quickly pushing it higher around edges than in center (this will keep the top level).
- Bake for 20 minutes, then increase oven temp to 350, bake 40 minutes longer (crack on top will be slightly browned--showing no moistness).
- Cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack, then remove from pans to finish cooling--DO NOT REMOVE PAPER!
- When cooled, wrap waxed paper around two of the loaves, and then plastic wrap & freeze. Slice the remaining loaf into 12-15 slices, then cubes; set aside.
- WHIPPED CREAM LAYER: In a mixing bowl, beat cream with sugar until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER: In another bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla and sugar. Add about 2 cups of the whipped cream and the lemon zest--fold in; set aside.
- BERRY LAYER: Set aside one cup of berries for garnish. Sprinkle remaining berries with sugar, then lightly mash/crush them. Let them sit for about 30 minutes to get juicy---if you're short of time, add the water and this makes a nice juice too.
- JUST IN CASE: Check berries for bugs and inch-worms! They will float to the top of the juices. (Sorry to gross you out! But so much better you pick them out ahead than have them "appear" in the dessert!).
- ASSEMBLE THE TRIFLE: Sprinkle a layer of pound cake cubes in the bottom of a 3-quart glass serving bowl.
- Drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of berry juice over the cubes.
- Spread one fourth of cream cheese mixture over the cake cubes.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of cocoa over this, then some crushed berries.
- REPEAT this twice. Add about half of the reserved berries to the last layer.
- Top with remaining cream cheese, whipped cream and sifted cocoa; remaining berries added as a garnish before serving.
- Cover & refrigerate for about 3 hours, altho' this is ready-to-eat now (taste really does improve!).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I bought a Sara Lee Pound Cake and sprinkled it with sugar and cinnamon, but made the cream and fruit and made per the recipe. This was so delicious! Everyone went back for seconds (DH had 3 helpings) I was upset there were no leftovers for me (HA!) You could substitute any fruit in this recipe and it would be good. Thanks for sharing Debber!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage21/10.gif alt=/ /> <>< wife & mother of seven (four adopted foster children grown up now & three biologicals)--my baby(!!!) is a 12th grader! ... plus five grandkids (ages 5 - 21 y.o.); been married 34 years now to the *same wonderful <>< man.* .....</p> <p>Love cooking and being the happy little home-maker. .....</p> <p>Enjoy writing my own blogs and maintaining their FB pages:</p> <p>Blog, Facebook, Pinterest: TitusTwoFriends.blogspot.com (Twitter handle @Titus2Friends )<br />Blog, Facebook, Pinterest: NatureStudyLessons.blogspot.com (Twitter handle @NatureLessons ) </p> <p>Pinterest: <a href=http://pinterest.com/debberlynn></a>http://pinterest.com/debberlynn/ </p> <p>Instagram: <a href=http://instagram.com/debberlynn>http://instagram.com/debberlynn</a></p> <p>..... as well as quilting, writing, flower-gardening, and home-organizing, ...and very active in our <>< church, Bible study, teaching, and singing alto in choir. Plan to get back to writing and earning money at it! AND I work as a virtual assistant--check out www.elance.com for more info on VA-ing.</p> <p><<<<<***God is good!***>>>>><br /> <br /><strong><em>. . . C O N T E S T S . . . </em></strong><br /> <br />My little Rosebud Cottage was a winner in the Basic Category in the 2009 Gingerbread House-Making Contest. </p> <p>. </p> <p>. <br /><strong>B A R B E C U E ... S A U C E</strong></p> <p>I entered my mother-in-law's excellent recipe in the contest (Recipe #241146) and won the Family Friendly category! <br /><img src=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/ruemke/ff.jpg alt=/ /></p> <p><br /><span>. . . E V E N T S . . . </span><br /> <br /><strong>Z A A R . . W O R L D . . . T O U R</strong></p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/GGtiedyesmall.gif alt=/ /></p> <p>My gastronomically GROOVIN' team mates are the lovely and talented Team Captain: CraftScout #463202, our equally talented & hip CookBook Guru (staying in the 70's mode) JackieOhNo! #386585, and a slew of Gnome-warriors including Gandalf The White #167236, Az G 946146, kellychris #416985, luvcook'n #308434, Axe #310749, NELady #743849, and sarahubasics #744296 <br /> <br />WE TOOK 5TH PLACE (no thanks to me---I was along for the ride, but unfortunately didn't get to participate very much--with an emergency trip to Montana!)!!!! <br /><img src=http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/bumbag5.gif?t=1211686551 alt=/ /> <br />My fellow hagsters included AmandaInOz, <br />CaliforniaJan, DreamoBway (Christina), JanuaryBride (Jen), JCC (Janice), jkoch960 (also Janice!), megnbrycesmom (Holly), Queenofcamping (Karen), and our lovely team captain Leggy Peggy. <br /> <br />My floozeriffic Fantabulous Friendly Foodie Floozy team-mates included captain Chef #28729 (Iowa), Chef #37036 (Texas), Chef #37449 (No. Carolina), Chef #107135 (Nebraska), Tina Chef #222055, Chef #337668 (Colorado), Chef #448342 (Colorado), Chef #306797 (Australia), and Leanne Chef #416807 (Canada). ...June/July 2007 <br /> <br /><strong>. . . M Y . . T H R E E . . C H E F S . . . </strong><br /> <br />2009 (November) <img src=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg alt=/ />My themes were Rise-n-Shine Breakfast and Autumn Suppers OAMC <br /> <br />2008 (Summer) <img src=http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefs2008Small.jpg alt=/ /> My themes were Ruh! Ruh! Rhubarb! and Sparrow Guts! and Quick Fix: Pizza For Lunch! <br /> <br />2007 (June) <br />My themes were <br />*Picnic & Lunch Box Snacks* <br />*Canning Up Summer's Bounty* <br /> <br /><strong>. . . P I C K - A - C H E F . . . </strong><br /> <br />PAC Autumn '09 <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt=/ /> <br />My children were Chef #1273716 and chef #321816; my mother was Chef #226863. <br /> <br />PAC Spring '09.... <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt=/ /> <br />I adopted Chef #176481 and Chef #892963. I then had a late-in-PAC baby named Chef #619505.... And I was adopted by Mom2Rose!!! <br /> <br />PAC Autumn '08 ... <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br />My small family included Chef #434123; and then I got myself adopted by Chef #361931(my sheep-mother, NOT my step mother!). :rofl: <br /> <br />PAC Spring '08 ... <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br />My children Chef #797028, Chef #532407, Chef #28177, Chef #510821, Chef #356933 & Chef #429493 and from the preemie nursery I picked up Chef #488944 and Chef #665370. Charlotte J was my little mother! <br /> <br />PAC Autumn '07 ... <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> My children were Chef #179488 from KY, Chef #207616 from NC, Chef #38901 from TX...and from the newborn nursery Chef #351525 and Chef #21667, and my littlest one is Chef #469264 all the way from the Philippines! And I was adopted by Chef #451700 over in Norway! She took the MOST beautiful pictures of my recipes!!! <br /> <br />PAC Spring '07 . . . <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> My children included Chef #396078, Chef #402846, Chef #37593, Chef #122993, Chef #48439 from the Newborn Nursery, Chef #321820, Chef #59476, Chef #293042, Chef #236959, and Chef #196248. ... I was adopted by Chef #186802 <br /><br /> <br /></p>