Old Fashioned Date Nut Bread
I love this almost all nut bread.A family treat and favorite at Holiday time. Use an electric knife to cut makes cutting easier. Try it --You might not want to share!! Recipe from an older lady I used to work with. Her recipes were great!!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dates, pitted
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries, juice reserved
- 1 lb brazil nut
- 1 lb walnuts
- 6 ounces pecans
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup reserved cherry juice
- 4 eggs
- Mix first five ingredients in bowl(leave all nuts whole). In another bowl mix next 5 ingredients.
- Add cherry juice to the last five ingredients. Add first five ingredients and
- last add in eggs.
- Put in greased loaf pan or small loaf pans.Depends on size of your pans.
- Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. If using small loaf pans check after 1 hour.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Enjoy as much as my family.
- and friends do!