Old Fashioned Boiled Sultana (Raisin) Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 340 g sultanas
- 340 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 225 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
- In a pot, over the sultanas with water and boil for 7 minutes.
- Drain the sultanas well, but keep them in the pot.
- Add cubed butter and stir until the butter is melted.
- In a bowl, beal the eggs and sugar until thick.
- Add the flour, powder and vanilla.
- Pour the fruit mix into the flour mix and fold to combine.
- Bake in a greased and lined large sqaure cake tin.
- Bake at 175oC for 1 1/2 hours, check after 1 1/4 minutes.
- Do not ice/frost.
- Serve warm with butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><br />As a toddler, my nic-name was Pompom (my Poppy had a golf hat with a pompom and it was one of my first words, and it stuck as my nic name). My Poppy has long since passed, but I fondly remember him every time I log on. I'm a stay at home mum of four aged: 10, 8, 7 and almost 6. I have a severe egg allergy and am lactose intolerant, I enjoy working out ways to still enjoy food minus eggs and milk. I have been married for 14 years and have one very happy and well fed hubby.<br />My goal is to try one new recipe a week, for the past 8 years have achieved this. I own over 300 cookbooks, but no longer purchase them - but regularly print out recipes to try later.<br />When I am not cooking, I am busy household of 6 and going to the gym (to work off the wonderful calories I consumed the day before) and helping at school and church.<br />My philosophy in life is: as we have to eat, we may as well eat well.</p>