photo by Pearl Ishizaki
- Ready In:
- Cut out the hard core part of the cabbage then slice it thinly along its length. Slice it further into smaller sizes by cutting the shredded pieces along its width. For the scallions, slice it thinly diagonally.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt. Whisk eggs then add it in the bowl. Add red pickled ginger or beni shoga then mix the ingredients until lumps of flour are no longer visible. Once it is mixed well, add the sliced cabbage and scallions into the bowl then mix all the ingredients.
- Heat a skillet using a medium fire then add vegetable oil. Take a good portion for a single person of the cabbage mixture then pour it in the pan. Add a few pieces of the thinly sliced pork on top of the okonomiyaki. Cover the pan then fry until the bottom part turns brown and firm which takes about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, take the cover then flip the okonomiyaki to fry the other side. Put back the lid of the pan then cook until the bottom side and the pork slices becomes brown which takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the bottom part is cooked, transfer the okonomiyaki onto a serving plate. Drizzle it with tonkatsu sauce and mayonnaise on top then further top it with katsuoboshi and aonori.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!