Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
photo by SusieQusie
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (recommended ( Craisins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with brown sugar and spices. Beat in egg, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Mix flour, oats and remaining dry ingredients including cranberries, in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of batter and drop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten each cookie with the back of the tablespoon. Repeat until sheet is full, being careful not to crowd. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. Store in an airtight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sorry to be the outlier here, but I did not like this recipe at all. The baking temperature was missing from the recipe, or at least I couldn't find it, but a little research on another website fixed that. The cookies just didn't have much taste and I wouldn't call them cookies. They tasted very much like a bran muffin that you make because it's healthy. It's OK and non-offensive, but not great and certainly nothing to tempt me to sneak just one more before bedtime. Maybe upping the spices as others have mentioned will improve them.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am one of the early members of Zaar joining in October 2001. It was instantly my favorite site even though there were only about 5000 recipes. Back then the original owners Troy and Gay ran the site and they had a lot of interaction with the members. I miss them. <br /> <br />Through the years it still remains to this day my favorite go to site and the one that I send all of my friends and family to when they need anything.</p> 8724616"