Oakwood Grilled Tri-Tip
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 (3 lb) tri-tip roast
Seasoning Salt Mixture
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup garlic-infused vegetable oil
- Heat a grill to low (use Oakwood instead of charcoal if possible.).
- Mix together the seasoning salt mixture. Whisk together the red wine vinegar and olive oil for the basting sauce.
- Coat both sides of the tri-tips with HALF of the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Place the tri-tips over a low temperature fire, 1 with fat side up, and the other with fat side down. Turn as the first side gets crispy, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Be careful of flare-ups, as the dripping fat will fuel the fire. Turn the tri-tips before the heat pushes juices out the top, and continue to turn using this timing method throughout the cooking process.
- After turning, baste with sauce and season lightly with remaining seasoning mixture, 4 times per side. Continue turning until the tri-tips are cooked to your liking. Remove from fire and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into 1/2-inch slices against the grain.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
About me? Well, I obviously love Lucy and I really love cooking...that's why I'm here! ;) I have two awesome kids and I love my peaceful, joyful life!