O Canada! Stove Top Mac-N-Cheese
It's a heck of a lot quicker and easier to do mac and cheese on the stovetop. I add Canadian bacon to mine, because, well, I love bacon in all its forms.
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- paprika, to taste
- Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling salted water.
- Meanwhile, saute the Canadian bacon in a large, non-stick saucepan for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the milk and flour together in a bowl, then add to the saucepan, bringing it all to a boil, while stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in cheese, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- When pasta is done, drain it and stir in the cheese mixture.
- Add paprika to taste (and for a little extra colour) and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was a quick and very tasty recipe... I doubled mine as I buy my macaroni in 500g bags worked perfectly I also mixed the cheese I used tasty & Gouda 1 1/4 cups of each as per recipe. I had left over cheese so I poured it into a baking dish sprinkled the extra cheese over it and baked it in my fan forced oven at 240 until just golden. Next time I will triple the sauce for my family's preference:)<br/>Great recipe it doesn't need changing thanks for sharing.
Very Very Good - Very Simple Quick - Easy - and Tasty! I Will be making this many - many more times. I only made tiny changes, I put cumin in my Mac 'N Cheese and I only had regular bacon that I cooked and chopped up in small bits. I also added a tad of cilantro. It was all very nice! I plan on trying it with other kinds of meat, like tuna, shredded turkey and maybe even corn beef. Thank You So Very Much!!