Ny Style Pizza Dough
photo by SteveBerry
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (105F)
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yeast
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and salt in water.
- Add oil and flour and stir with heavy spoon for 1 minute.
- Turn out to a lightly floured surface and press into a circle.
- Sprinkle yeast evenly over dough and knead for 12 minutes.
- Divide dough into portions: 6 oz. for Calzones, 18 oz. for 12 inch, 25 oz. for 15 inch.
- Roll each portion into a ball. You want a dough ball without visible seams except the bottom.
- Place dough balls in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to proof for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature to use the same day, or store in refrigerator to use the next day.
- Place dough ball on lightly floured surface, and lightly flour the top. Use fingertips to evenly flatten out the dough ball. Work from the edges to the center press dough into a 12" circle. Place both hands within the shell edge and stretch with fingertips and palms maintaining an even pressure. Or, use a lightly floured rolling pin to stretch to desired shape.
- Sprinkle cornmeal or semolina on pizza peel (a wooden paddle with a handle to slide the pizza in the oven) or a cutting board. The cornmeal allows the pizza to slide onto the stone easily.
- After topping the pizza, when you are ready to cook it. Shake the peel or cutting board to make sure none of the dough is sticking.
- Carefully slide the pizza into the oven.
- Bake in a 500 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love my Pizza ;)