photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- 1 (10 ounce) package pie crust mix (Betty Crocker, for 2 crusts)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans or both would be good here, but your choice)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a medium bowl stir together piecrust mix and the 1/4 cup sugar. Add enough water to be able to form a ball with it. Divide dough ball in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of the dough into a 9-inch circle. Transfer 1 circle to a greased cookie sheet or pie plate.
- For filling, combine the nuts, the 1/3 cup sugar, honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Spread over dough circle on cookie sheet. Top with remaining dough circle. Use tines of fork to seal edges and prick dough. Brush with milk.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry starts to brown. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. While warm, cut into 16 to 20 wedges. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan combine the chocolate pieces and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat just until melted. Drizzle over wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Now, this is a keeper@ I wanted to make them, but had no pie crust mix. I did, however, have two store-brand rolled out refrigerated crusts, so I used them. To compensate for the sugar that was missing from the crust mix dough, I drizzled, very lightly, both crusts with honey. Not Baklava, but delicious in its own right and I will make again and again. It's easy and very tasty!
Oh goodness, this is so rich and good! I cheated a little, and used premade pie crust, which made this easy and quick! I sprinkled a little sugar over the bottom pie crust, then put in filling, and topped with the second pie crust. Thank you Jessica for a delicious dessert which I'm sure I'll be making again!
I am also phyllo challenged but have always wanted to taste baklava. This recipe was very tasty and easy to make. I bought the pre-made pie crusts and used walnuts. Next time I will use a level teaspoon of shortening to make the chocolate as mine was a little "waxy". Thank you JessicaK for posting this recipe!
I love these wedges. They are rich and very reminiscent of baklava. This year was my second time making them and I used brown sugar in place of white, very yummy change. I used prepared pie dough. For the chocolate I use the microwave. I take 3/4 cup chocolate chips and 1 1/2 TBLS butter, melt them together, place this in a pastry bag and pipe it onto the cookie wedges.
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I just had my 2nd little boy this past Jan of 08. isn't he cute? i had my other little one Jan of 06. he's rotten and a cutie also!! So now i have 2 Jan boys! My hubby's in the Army so we move every few years. Right now we are in our home state of TX! and happy to be back, close to family that can babysit for us! hubby is gone for a whole yr right now, so the baby will grow up without him right now. I've lived all over the world, the only place i haven't made it to yet is Europe, hopefully someday! <a href="http://www.glitter-graphics.com"><img src="http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/487/487219z1x4ryv6ny.gif" width=215 height=215 border=0></a><a href="http://www.glitter-works.org" target=_blank>glitter-graphics.com</a> Participation & Awards: <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/ZaarWorldTourPartBanner.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jessicatjink/teambanner1.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jessicatjink/ZWT3-Participation.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>