Norwegian Beef Stew (Lapskaus)
A hearty Norwegian stew
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 lbs beef
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 lb carrot
- 1 small rutabaga
- 3 cups potatoes (chopped)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Dice the beef, cover with water, and simmer for one hour.
- Separately, wash and peel the vegetables and potatoes, and cut them into bite-size cubes.
- Bring the beef broth to a boil. Add the carrots and the rutabaga, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Then add potatoes, and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add the meat and onion, and season to taster with salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook until the stew thickens and the meat, vegetables and potatoes ae all tender (but not mushy).
- Stir occasionally while cooking, being careful not to let them burn.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Lots of flavor and loved the addition of rutabaga (must be my Norwegian blood :) ). It didn't say how much water to use or if it was to be discarded after cooking the meat and onions. I thought it would be a shame to throw out that flavor, so I assumed it should be used in addition to the broth. But then my stew was very thin (don't know how one should "continue cooking until stew thickens" without making the potatoes mushy, since there is no thickener in the recipe. I think I will flour the meat and brown it first next time and then continue as written, then it would thicken a bit. I am going to use some flour-water misture to thicken the leftovers tomorrow. Made for ZWT 9.Reply
see 2 more