North African Chicken and Couscous
Posting for World Zaar Tour 2009 From Cooking Light Times are approximate
- Ready In:
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked couscous
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate, undiluted
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chopped chopped ready-to-eat roasted boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 breasts)
- 2 cups chopped peeled cucumbers
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced green onion (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous and raisins.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine orange juice and next 6 ingredients (orange juice through black pepper); stir well with a whisk.
- Combine the couscous mixture, juice mixture, chicken, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I scaled this back for 3 but still had a serving left over which the DM has demanded for lunch tomorrow. It wasn't until I went to make the dish that I discovered that I didn't have any lemon juice so used all orange and omited the cilantro as we don't care for the taste. Thank you wicked cook 46 for a great simple easy to make recipe, made for Everyday A Holiday.
I had to use dark raisins and all green pepper (no red on hand) and zucchini for the cuke, I added cinnamon equal to the cumin. I cooked the chicken fresh and used the couscous hot for a Fall dinner and while it wasn't really hot it it was warm enough to be satisfactory. Love the flavor mix and the good health factor. :D